Friday, July 27, 2007

What fun!


I was invited to a class tonight held by a friend I met during a Crafters Basement sale earilier this yearand I had a ball. I was excited about going because of seeing Kelly again, but also because it meant getting out of the house and meeting new people. I already knew a few that go to her classes so this was a chance to meet even more, especially one that Kelly knew I would love.

Turns out Gayl has the same love I do for anything old, for ATCs, for tons of stuff. We have so much in common that it threw both of us for a loop. We chatted all night while we made our notebooks. :) I had so much fun and am so glad I decided to venture out of the house for a few hours. I so need to do that more often, when the drugs allow me that is :)

Anyway, we covered composition books tonight and I brought my own paper and embellishments. I wanted to use some of the things I had gotten in my monthly kit from Scrapbook Obsessions (the link to this WONDERFUL store is to the right). Of course it was Bo Bunny paper and had that feel and look I love so much, that it wasn't hard not to use it!

The notebook above is what came out of my evening of fun :) How could you create something this pretty and call it work?
To be honest with you I took the layout of the papers from an already made layout including in the coordinating 6x6 paper pad I got with my kit. I just didn't allow for the space for the picture. Once again it goes to prove you can use layouts, pictures anything you want, for anything.


It was very easy to make the notebook and here's how we did it.


1. Take a black and white composition book from Wal-mart or anywhere you happen to find them. They're usually located in the school aisle and have a black binding along the edge. Regular spaced notebook paper is bound inside.


2. Decide on what kind of scrapbook you want to use, coordinate the colors and choose at least two. The girls tonight had patterned paper on the bottom and coordinating cardstock on the top. Coordinating ribbon divided the two. The backside of the notebook had the same papers but was reversed.


3. I laid out my paper against the edges of the book covering the inside covers with plain cardstock. The girls folded their papers over the edge and then put colored cardstock down covering the folded paper. I used paper adhesive, really a tape runner, once I got laid out the pieces of paper in the manner I wanted them, making sure to trim any excess paper from the edges. The thin red paper you see dividing the different patterns is Bazill cardstock trimmed into thin strips. I chose to use paper instead of ribbons just to make sure it laid nicely.


4. Once you have the paper the way you want it, slop a ton of Modge Podge on top of it! LOL Seriously, take a foam brush and paint the Modge Podge all over the book making sure to pay close attention to any folds, any loose paper and any edges. It goes on white but dries clear (and quickly I might add) and adheres the paper in place forever. It also adds a protective element to your book and water will not ruin it.


5. After the Modge Podge dries, add an embellishment elements you want to use. Anything is game and it's up to your imagination. The flower on my book was glued down with a tape runner and the chipboard letters where adhered by adding Modge Podge to the backs of each letter. Modge Podge is also a wonderful glue! Every thing used on my book comes from the Bo Bunny Anna Sophia collection with the exception of the chipboard letters which are Cosmo Cricket. The memories clip is from the Narratives collection of Karen Russell with Creative Imaginations.


6. Cover the embellishments with another coat of Modge Podge and let dry. You're done. Easy huh? Total cost for the project was under $5 and can be used for anything you want. Even note from classes at school - or scrapbook stores.


You can make these notebooks as simple or as elaborate as you want. It's up to you. It takes about an hour and a half to make the book, not counting drying time. They make wonderful last minute gifts and can be used for anything at all. Last year I made several as Christmas gifts for my neice and nephew and have made several for thank you gifts. You can also stamp on the front of the book (if you have plain cardstock where the image will show) as well.

No comments: